Swvl is a revolutionary idea that was born from passion, loyalty, and persistence to face all challenges that come our way. It started with an observation turning into a realization; too many cars on the streets, wasting our limited resources: time, space, and money.
In 4 years Swvl became the first $1.5 billion unicorn in the Middle East to list on NASDAQ and currently the 2nd best-funded startup in the MENA region. With a presence and operations in up to 10 countries worldwide and a vision to be active on 6 continents.
Our main goal is not just to facilitate commuting, but a hunger to strive for solutions, encourage the contribution of youth in innovation, and inspire change.
We are looking for an engaged and enthusiastic Engineer to join our team of talented engineers that share a common interest in distributed systems, their scalability, and continued development.
What do we do in the Travel tribe?
We're re-imagining cross-cities mass transportation, helping people get to beaches, business trips, or visiting their families on holidays.
We're always aspiring to maintain maximum customer satisfaction by tailoring each and every aspect of the travel experience. Come join us in the journey of reshaping how we help customers discover the best Swvl ride for them helping them reach their dream destinations.
What will you be doing?
- Influence and contribute to Swvl’s platform & system architecture.
- Drive the frontend architecture to be well maintained, flexible, scalable, and highly available.
- Contribute to the vision and long-term strategy of the frontend chapter.
- Debug and solve complex issues by translating business problems into technical solutions.
- Mentor and teach fellow engineers, and deeply engage with the team on how they can increase their impact as citizens of Swvl engineering.
- Create frameworks and abstractions that are reliable, reusable, and avoid surprising outcomes.
- Designs and stewards career development plans for the frontend chapter.
- 8+ years of experience developing, shipping, and maintaining web applications and systems.
- Strong leadership experience: Leading meetings, presenting, technical go-to person, and cross-functional leader.
- Can contribute best practices and architectural leadership to our front-end applications and help pick the architecture, frameworks, and tooling.
- Excellent communication skills: Demonstrated ability to explain complex technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Have experience in mentoring and supporting peers and engineering teams, fostering best engineering practices.
- Strong code review skills and ability to point out code smells.
- Proactively identify technical debt or other areas of architectural risk in the product needing improvement.
- Experience with server-side rendering.
- Experience with developing customer-facing websites with SEO and accessibility best practices.
- Experience with browser APIs and optimizing frontend performance (e.g. code-splitting, three-shaking, lazy loading assets, using CDNs, caching, compression, etc..).
- Understand the importance of testing front-end components and has experience with creating unit and integration tests related to the front-end components they develop.
- Movie geeks, experienced gamers, bookworms, petrol heads, and melophiles are all welcome.